Flowserve Corporation Buyer in Springville, Utah
Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, chemical, and other industries. With more than 18,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
The Senior Metals Buyer plays a key role in the success of Flowserve Springville’s control valve business. The Buyer is responsible primarily for purchasing highly-complex and exotic metals, as well as other materials as assigned. The Buyer also has ownership of the purchasing processes related to these assigned spend categories, including but not limited to: purchase order creation and distribution, supplier relationship and performance management, supplier nonconformance resolution and corrective action, change order and life cycle management, requests for quotation, and supplier evaluation and selection.
The Senior Metals Buyer reports to the Purchasing Manager, working under minimal supervision. The Buyer is often required to be a part of teams that discuss changes, problems, and solutions in control valve production and procurement. The Buyer’s duties and decisions impact the success of the Purchasing and control valve work groups directly, and often they require originality and ingenuity. These duties and decisions are usually complex and varied. The Buyer is also expected to continually look for ways to improve costs, methods and processes within their own areas of responsibility, and work with suppliers of assigned spend categories to do the same in their facilities.
This position requires specialized knowledge and skills, and has high potential for both positive and negative impact in this critical area of Flowserve Springville’s business.
Accountabilities - Support the Flowserve Springville Code of Excellence by striving to incorporate its principles into all work activities, including the following:
Manage Assigned Supply Base
§ Establish partnerships with suppliers, including frequent communication about business trends, expectations, performance, and improvement opportunities
§ Work collaboratively with suppliers to meet performance goals: >96% OTD, <5,000 PPM poor quality,
<5,000 PPM inaccuracy in shipments, etc.
§ Teamed with suppliers, continually seek cost reduction and containment opportunities, and take advantage of these opportunities through coordinated implementation efforts
§ Involve other Flowserve groups in the partnership with suppliers – Quality, Planning, Receiving, etc. – and seek their input on how to improve performance
§ Work to establish a common focus between Flowserve and suppliers that supports the corporate, local, and group strategic visions and goals
§ Establish a culture of continuous improvement with all assigned suppliers, particularly in the areas of quality, lead time reduction, and reducing total cost.
Manage Internal Procurement Processes
§ Follow established processes and policies, yet continually look for and suggest improvements to them
§ Strictly monitor and evaluate planning parameters and resulting buy signals to assure only necessary quantities of materials are ordered at the appropriate time
§ Process buy signals promptly, and assure Purchase Order information is clear and accurate prior to sending to the supplier
§ Take appropriate action to address unexpected changes to planned demand and available supply, and notify affected parties per expected time frames
§ Process assigned Nonconformance Reports (NCRs) promptly, per expected time frames
§ Issue Corrective Action Requests (CARs) and Preventive Action Requests (PARs) to suppliers, as appropriate
§ Work respectfully, collaboratively, and ethically with all customers
§ Accept assignments and direction from manager
§ Establish a due date and expectation for follow up for every customer request, and work with appropriate urgency to meet those expectations
§ If an expectation cannot be met, renegotiate with the customer prior to the due date
§ Demonstrate a willingness to help others, even if the work is unrelated to normal duties
§ Fully comply with Flowserve’s Ethics and Compliance Policy
§ Assume ownership of all aspects of assigned work responsibilities
§ Seek further training and learning to more fully produce accurate and high quality results
§ Be an example of excellence in all duties
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must also occasionally lift fifty pounds or less. Normal corrected or uncorrected vision is required.
This position occasionally requires exposure to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; and/or toxic or caustic chemicals. Typical noise levels for this job are moderate.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor's degree, and three to five years’ Purchasing experience; an equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
· Minimum of two years demonstrated buying experience and managing supplier performance to world-class levels for on-time performance, quality, accuracy, etc.
· Demonstrated experience working as a member of cross-functional teams, particularly teams comprising members from Engineering, Quality, and Manufacturing, including working directly with members of these groups
· Minimum of two years demonstrated experience using large-scale ERP systems (Oracle preferred)
· Two to four years’ experience using Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook and Excel
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Demonstrated ability to be motivated through a constant, self-imposed and internal drive
· Demonstrated ability for assuming personal accountability for all responsibilities
· Demonstrated ability to work well with others, invest in their success, and find satisfaction in the process and results
· Demonstrated skill at maintaining high accuracy and attention to detail
· Demonstrated negotiation skills resulting in positive outcomes for both customer and supplier
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering or Business Management, or equivalent, and five to seven years’ Purchasing experience
· Two to four years demonstrated experience buying exotic and complex metals in various forms (forgings, plate, bar, pipe, etc.), and managing supplier performance to world-class levels for on-time performance, quality, accuracy, etc.
· Two to four years’ Purchasing or Production experience working in an industrial manufacturing facility
· Two to four years’ prior work experience in a metals distribution or manufacturing facility
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated understanding of lean purchasing tools
· Extensive understanding of Microsoft Excel, including building complex spreadsheets
· Lean Six Sigma training – Green Belt or Black Belt certification
· Demonstrated understanding of metal manufacturing and documentation, ASTM/ASME and other standards, drawings, symbols and terminology, testing, etc.
· Demonstrated knowledge of documentation requirements metals manufacturing, including Declaration of Conformity, Certified Material Test Reports, Heat Treatment Charts, etc.
Primary Posting Location:
Springville, Utah US
Percentage of Approximate Travel Required:
Job Posting/Business Card Title:
United States of America
Job Posting Category:
Auto req ID: